Five FAQs English Trainers Always Face and Their Appropriate Answers




There is a set of FAQs, which almost every ESL learner asks and which every ESL trainer has to answer almost all the time. My fifteen years as an ESL trainer have not been any different. 

These questions are not a part of the academic curriculum which we follow as trainers rather they belong to the human aspect of the training. In fact, my observation has been that the success of a trainer depends a lot on, how well they tackle this particular aspect. Their connect with the students largely depends on this particular skill.

Initially, when I used to answer these questions, my approach was not very empathetic. I was giving answers which didn't sound convincing even to myself.  The reason was, they came from an individual who had not interacted much with her students. Now, when I look back at my novice self giving those pieces of advice I understand they were not very practical solutions to the problem at hand.

Now over a period of time, after having interacted with all types of students with diverse backgrounds, I am able to correctly gauge their concerns and am able to handle them in a manner that always work.

So what are those questions and what are their right responses? I have summarised them in five questions, lets look at them one by one.

1. Will I be able to learn the language?

ideal answer: well, the trainer will provide her hundred percent expertise, it depends upon the learner, how much effort she is willing to put in. If the student follows the instructions to the T, she will surely move forward in leaps and bounds. I have seen that the learning-swimming analogy works wonders to answer this question.


2. How much time it will take to learn English properly?

ideal answer: it varies from person to person, there is no standard time period in which every individual will surely learn the language. It depends where each one is starting from and how much effort every person is putting in.


3. Is it necessary to learn grammar?

ideal answer: language learning actually means to learn how to form a sentence, unless you understand the basic grammar, how would you form the sentence. Actually, the spoken English course is a mix of grammar and speaking practice.


4. We don't use the language in our daily conversations in the family, how to practice outside the class?

ideal answer: we are lucky to be in a time where technology is all around us. Make maximum use of it. Listen to the podcasts, youtube videos, audiobooks, etc while carrying on with your daily tasks.


5. I can understand everything when someone speaks to me in the language but I am not able to answer in English.

ideal answer: the learner's vocabulary and understanding of grammar is good but the application part is missing she has to understand the fine nuances of the language and has to start practicing regularly.

Well, let me know how your experience as a trainer has been? 
Which were the FAQs you handled the most and how?
It would be really great to read them in the comments below.



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

playway Vs.traditional system of kids' education